Thando grew up playing Soccer, Rugby and Cricket. Athletics was never an out and out favorite sport. This was until the year 2009 when he qualified to represent his district at the 2009 SALGA Games which were held in Pietermaritzburg. He made the final in the 100m & 200m. It was in 2011 that he made up his mind about pursuing Athletics as a sport after high school as he had made the KZN Schools and Junior Teams. He has personal best times of 21.56 in the 200m and 11.05 in the 100m.
He relocated to Port Elizabeth in 2012 and has since represented NMMU at USSA Championships and Varsity Cup Athletics every year since then.
Coaching / Management Career:
- ASA Sprints Level 1 Qualification obtained in 2015
- Sprints Coach at the NMMU Graaff-Reinet Coaching clinic 2016
- Victoria Park High School Athletics Coach 2015
- Bestmed Madibaz Varsity Athletics Team Administrator 2016
- Bestmed Madibaz Team Administrator USSA 2016
- Bestmed Madibaz Athletics Committee Track & Field Chairperson 2016
- TJ Athlete Management Sprints Coach 2015
- Bestmed Madibaz Athletics Committee Vice President 2017